Can HR Screen Their Current Employees In Malaysia?
In today’s business environment, there is a growing demand for companies to conduct Post Employment Background Checks (existing employees). A candidate with a clear background check at the time of hire, may have very different ‘surprise’ findings during the course of their employment, hence posing a risk to your business.
Re-screening existing employees is a recommended in demonstrating due diligence.
So, can the HR do a re-screening on existing employees? Well, apparently you can and we summarized them in 5 points as below:
Point #1: It’s The Law
Some industries are duty bound by regulatory bodies to maintain a safe working environment to protect the company, employees and its customers.
Point #2: Reduce Risks of Negligent Retention
Negligent retention applies when a company should have known about an employee’s dangerous propensities, yet continued employing the individual. This can lead to 3rd party liability claims.
Point #3: Maintain A Safer And Secure Workplace
Every company has an ethical and social responsibility to protect their employees and customers at large. No matter the situation, periodic checks on your employees boosts your organization’s reputation for excellence and zero tolerance.
Point #4: Support Internal Affairs Investigation
Anything can happen over time. Some companies make it a policy to perform annual post employment screening for all employees and some for the purpose of internal affairs investigation.
Point #5: A promotion Is A Change In Responsibility
As levels of responsibilities grow, so does the risk for the employer, if the said individual is placed into a position of authority.
In summary, by adding in regular post employment screening to your HR Policy, it will help you minimize your organization’s risks over the long term.
If you are within these industries, this process is highly recommended for you to look into:
- Financial Institutions
- Shared Services & Outsourcing Companies
- Manufacturing Companies
- Telecommunications Companies
- Fast Moving Consumable Goods (FMCG) Companies
- Property, Construction and Development Companies
Why is this process necessary for HR?
- Improve quality of choosing the right candidate
- Compliance & Regulatory requirements
- Due diligence to safe guard company, employees & customers
- Strengthening internal controls
- Save time and money from costs of wrongful hiring
- Fraud mitigation – risk of theft or assets
How does it work?
- Get all your employees to sign a PDPA / Consent Letter
- Decide on the types of checks you would like to conduct (financial probity, civil litigation, industrial court, criminal/security, directorships, etc)
- Drop us a line below and we’ll come back to you soonest possible